Skip to content

3 Simple Strategies to Start Saving More & Spending Less 

Time value of money, asset growth over time, financial concept : Dollar bags, sand clock or hourglass on a balance scale in equal position, depicts investment in long-term equity for more money growth

The struggle to save money is a universal challenge because modern-day media encourages us to buy and hoard items. Every tap on our smartphones introduces us to new products and enticing advertisements. And before we know it, the month’s salary is spent on takeout meals, Amazon deliveries, and fancy night-outs. 

Those of us who save what is left after splurging on our desires often end up saving very little – or nothing at all. Saving before spending is a much more pragmatic strategy to build security for the future. Imagine all the possibilities you can explore with a sizable nest egg, such as a down payment for a home or a car. 

Read on to explore simple strategies that will help you save more and spend less. 

  1. Set Aside your Savings First

It’s wise to set aside a specific sum for your savings before you spend your paycheck on your utilities and wants. You can specify any portion that works ideally for your lifestyle and monthly necessities. The 70-30 Rule is the gold standard for saving, especially for people struggling to build a healthy saving ethic. The idea is to set aside 30% of your income for savings and spend the remaining 70% on your necessities and luxuries. 

The 70-30 Rule is a highly realistic strategy to spend your money without the guilt of splurging, setting aside a substantial amount for rainy days. Adopting this rule will help you maintain consistency and grow your savings steadily. 

  1. Schedule Multiple No-Spend Days Each Month

Contrary to popular belief, human beings can spend days without spending a single cent of their hard-earned money, except for necessities of course. Once you’ve cleared your bills and restocked the monthly groceries, you can treat yourself to multiple no-spend days. This strategy will help you avoid wasting money and adopt a more wholesome lifestyle. 

For instance, you can prepare a homemade breakfast and lunch instead of spending money at the local coffee shop. Likewise, you can throw a potluck dinner or a game night instead of going out to the club or a fancy restaurant. The idea is to satisfy your daily needs using the resources you have already purchased and reducing your day-to-day spending. 

  1. Find Budget-Friendly Alternatives to Indulgent Guilty Pleasures

We all have our guilty pleasures and vices that take up a huge chunk of our monthly income, leaving us with satisfaction and bittersweet guilt. Have you ever considered discovering a budget-friendly alternative to your most indulgent guilty pleasure? 

For instance, people who spend hundreds of dollars at upscale casinos can explore online platforms like Casino777 to tune into their favorite games. Likewise, fashion enthusiasts dedicated to amassing a wardrobe full of designer labels can explore thrift stores and vintage finds. People who love fine dining and trying out new cuisines can learn to prepare the same recipes at home. 

It all boils down to developing mindfulness and being conscious of your spending patterns. You don’t have to eliminate the activities that bring you joy, even if they involve hoarding merchandise you don’t really need. All you need to do is find an alternative that satisfies your desires without breaking the bank. 

Final Thoughts 

Visualizing your future goals and mapping out milestones truly help with building a healthy saving ethic. Instead of struggling to set aside a large sum, focus on maintaining consistency. Adding an unrealistically large chunk of your income to your savings account can encourage you to dip into your savings if you run out of funds before the month ends. Setting SMART goals is of the utmost significance to grow your nest egg and work toward your financial dreams.