North east Brazil developer waives interest on staged payments
|Tuesday, 14 August 2012|
Overseas buyers in Brazil can get an unexpected shock when they find they are paying interest on staged payments, experts point out.
The country’s National Civil Construction Index (National da Construcao Civi) adds interest onto staged payments and was brought in some years ago to protect developers from inflation when selling off plan.
With a lack of available finance, developers were effectively banks offering loans to people to purchase their product. This led to several company collapses and half finished buildings. Developers now have the right to add this inflationary charge to the outstanding balance which takes into account the changing costs of labour, building materials and so on.
According to Samantha Gore, sales manager for local Brazil estate agent uv10.com, explained that many people enter into the Brazilian property market completely unaware of the INCC.
‘If you buy an off plan apartment from a Brazilian developer and pay 20% at outset, the remaining 80% will go up by the INCC each month until it is paid. The charge is added to each instalment amount and is cumulative,’ she said.
‘And, as the INCC fluctuates month to month, this leaves buyers in a position where they have no idea how much their apartment will end up costing. At uv10.com we prefer to work with developers who specify prices from the outset,’ she added.
Natal based developer behind Golden Fields has chosen to ignore this inflationary measure and instead fix prices at private contract.
‘Buying through a developer that does not link to the INCC is becoming more important as labour costs in particular are now rising especially in the north east region. According to the Brazilian Chamber of Construction Industry, average per square metre labour costs now exceed material costs as employers are spending their resources on increased wages and employee training to combat the lack of qualified labour force,’ Gore pointed out.
‘As Brazil looks forward to the 2014 World Cup, it is hoped that manpower costs do not impact the business opportunities afforded to the construction industry,’ she added.
In July, Brazil’s INCC dropped to 0.85% after a record high of 1.31% for June and this gives an accumulated variation of 5.87% for the year to July 2012 and 7.31% across the last 12 months. In July 2011, the index was just 0.59%. The next price adjustment is expected on 23 August.
Prices start from 162,908 Brazilian Reals, around €65,814 or £51,598 and staged payments are not linked to the INCC. The developer has a limited period special offer of a further 10% off asking price for those who can pay more quickly, bringing the price down to 31% below the nearest market comparable.
In addition, those who reserve a property before 20 August 2012 will be given a free one week trip to Natal including flight and accommodation. Conditions apply.
This story relates to: [SEE ALL]
BOOKMARK THIS PAGE (What is this?)
Search for Properties:
It’s the UK’s strongest asset class, but are all student accommodation properties good investments? This is the comprehensive list of what to watch out for when buying student property.